Sex addiction is a condition that can be difficult for may people to grasp, but it is in fact a very real issue that affects many people. It is described as the “compulsive engagement of sex despite the negative consequences”. Sex addiction is just as real a problem as gambling or drug addiction, however there’s no clear understanding as to how this is caused.
Signs and symptoms of sex addiction
With many people unconvinced that sex addiction can be classed as an actual addiction, the signs and symptoms are often very vague. This being said, here are some you may want to look out for.
- Sex becomes a priority to the point of constantly excluding other activities
- The person will engage in sex with multiple partners and have affairs
- The addict will be constantly looking to engage in inappropriate/risky sexual activities
- The consistent urge to find sex is often accompanied by feelings of regret, depression or shame
- A sense of withdrawal when not engaging in sexual activities
The main factor to look out for in sex addiction is the feeling of being unable to stop yourself despite the harm you know it may cause.
With sex being such a taboo subject in society, many people find it hard to believe that it can be an addiction. For example, some people who suffer from sex addiction are abusive, so many may think they’re using the addiction as an excuse for their behaviour. Also, many people are confused about what ‘recovery’ from the addiction would mean, for instance abstinence.
If you think you could be suffering from sex addiction get in touch with Leon House today. All calls are confidential and our team of experts are eager to help. There’s no need to fear any sort of judgement as our professionals want to help you in any way they can.